Wednesday 28 November 2018

An 18th Century Bee-Keeper

I was given this little fellow years ago. The owner did not wish to restore it, as the damage was so great; but he thought I might want to work on it for myself. 

I have seen figures of this type marked as Chelsea, but there is no anchor mark. Actually, the twisted leaning aspect of the figure reminded me more of the slumping often seen in Derby figures.

It took a long time to find the time to get this fellow up on my workbench. He had no arms, hands, flowers and a lot of the bocage was missing. He had also been holding something vaguely conical in his left arm that was unidentifiable. 



I started by trying to work out what he had been holding. I figured a straw coiled beehive was in order. Then the arms could be started. I found a cast hand and a partial porcelain hand in my bin of parts, leftover from other projects. 



The hardest part was getting the gesture correct.



Now he is starting to come together. The first paint is applied while I decide whether flowers should be added to the bocage.



I will be posting the final result soon; but first I want to look at him for a few weeks to decide on the final effect.


LATER PROGRESS

Still refining the look of this guy. I think all I have to do now is address the bocage breakage on the left side. (Meaning, to the right of the picture.) perhaps a small chopped flower or a leaf. Sometimes you have to took at the picture to see it in a different way. ;)


And here is the final take on the bee-keeper! Not over-restored- kept some flowers chipped. I even MADE some chipped flowers! Isn’t he adorable?






No comments:

Post a Comment