Wednesday 5 February 2014

Grimsby Library Books



Here's Mark helping me out with a huge project at the Grimsby Art Gallery. I needed a driver as it was an exhausting project to accomplish in one day. 

I cleaned, sorted and reattached many tiles and fragments to tiles. Now I have to hope that the gallery will allow enough time for perfect adhesion. To get the tiles to stick, a lot of old adhesive had to be chiselled out. I had to use materials I know very little about. It's all a bit of a gamble on my part.


These plywood panels of terra cotta 'books' hung in the old Grimsby library as a solid installation - a 'wall' of terracotta and text reflecting the history of Grimsby. 

Over the years many book tiles had detached and were either broken or reattached with various cements. Here is a picture of two broken tiles removed to my studio for treatment. Missing material is indicated by yellow arrows.


A detail of a panel before any treatment.








No comments:

Post a Comment