Monday 30 March 2009

Building Rooster Tail Feathers



OK - here's the real goods...real ceramic restoration, up close and personal. The tailfeathers were missing on this rooster and this is how we made them.

Instead of using a metal armature which would be less firm when attached to the stumps of the feathers, I decided to make the armatures out of epoxy clay. The type of epoxy clay that I've been using for a while is from East Valley Supply in the USA - and when you hit this link and go to their website, you will see the same rooster pictures. Yes, they are my pictures...I thought I had something to crow about.
 


I love the consistency of this clay, the way it will hold detail, the set-up time and the carvablility after. Lovely stuff! - and I've tried them all. There's probably a little element of superstition about it as well - one tends to use the same things that have been successful in the past.

The tailfeathers are modelled and below are details of the painting. So, this is what we do for all that time we took. ;)








No comments:

Post a Comment